Best wishes for Happy New Year, full of joy, inspiration, great mood, wisdom, balance and successful endeavors!
Inspired by my visit to China this year, I have chosen 15 quotes of the ancient Chinese philosopher Confucius as a little new year present. They have been written 2500 years ago but match surprisingly well the contemporary ideas in management!
Wise words from Confucius
1. If the people be led by laws, and order is achieved by punishments, they will try to avoid the punishment, but have no sense of shame. If they be led by virtue, and order is achieved by rules of propriety, they will have the sense of shame, and moreover will become good.
2. Don’t worry if you have no position: worry about making yourself worthy of one. Don’t worry if you aren’t known and admired: devote yourself to a life that deserves admiration.
3. A youth is to be regarded with respect. How do we know that his future will not be equal to our present? If he reach the age of forty or fifty, and has not made himself heard of, then indeed he will not be worth being regarded with respect.
4. The nobler sort of man emphasizes the good qualities in others, and does not accentuate the bad. The inferior does.
5. Нe had four of the characteristics of a superior man:— in his conduct of himself, he was humble; in serving his superiors, he was respectful; in nourishing the people, he was kind; in ordering the people, he was just.
6. A superior man in dealing with the world is not for anything or against anything. He follows what he believes is right.
7. The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.
8. When the wise man points at the Moon, the idiot looks at the finger.
9. The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not.. аre both correct
10. The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.
11. Imagination is more important then knowledge
12. Settle one difficulty, and you keep a hundred away.
13. Where words lose their meaning, people lose their lives.
14. You can force the people to obey; you cannot force them to understand.
15. I never instruct those who aren’t full of passion for studying, and I never enlighten those who aren’t struggling to find answers.
Source: 359 quotes by Confucius, https://www.goodreads.com/
Kind regards - Tania Boyajieva